The Zoner has moved!

zonersports.com

If you are not redirected automatically within a few seconds then click the link!

10/28/2005

MORE ON MLB MANAGERS

Just came across this news item at the fabulous Balls, Sticks and Stuff.
  • Mike Schmidt will interview to be the Devil Rays' manager Friday in St. Petersburg. During his Hall of Fame career (1972-89), Schmidt hit 548 career home runs and won three MVP awards and 10 Gold Gloves at third base, making 12 All-Star teams during a career spent entirely with the Phillies. He was inducted into the National Baseball Hall of Fame in 1995. Schmidt, 56, has managerial experience after managing the Phillies' Class A team in Clearwater, Fla., in 2004. He served as a part-time hitting instructor in the Phillies organization in 2005.

So part-time hitting instructor. I'm guessing those duties include putting on the uniform so people can say, "Hey...there's Mike Schmidt." As for his managing, he was manager for a year and promptly quit. I know they were 25 under .500 at one point.

2003: "There's a bit of a void in my life," Schmidt said. "I've been involved in other things that have taken me away from baseball. The thing that would be most fulfilling is to get back in the game and life I know the most about."

2004: “I feel it is best for me to withdraw from the development program,” he said in a letter to General Manager Ed Wade, Assistant General Manager, Scouting and Player Development Mike Arbuckle and Field Coordinator Bill Dancy. “The experience was wonderful and rewarding, but for several reasons, does not work for me and my family."

2005: Interview with the D-Rays.

Weird, huh?

"But as the season (2004) wore on, Schmidt gave a handful of interviews in various places where he wondered aloud whether he was actually cut out for it."

I guess he changed his mind. Again.

No comments: